Here are the slides for my talk, “Learning about Personal Experiences and their Outcomes: Analyzing Social Media as an Observational Study”. maison_keynote_kiciman_2016-02-10
I presented this as a keynote at the MAISoN 2017, WSDM workshop.
The talk references the following papers:
- Towards Decision Support and Goal Achievement: Identifying Action-Outcome Relationships from Social Media. Kıcıman, Richardson. KDD15
- Distilling the Outcomes of Personal Experiences: A Propensity-scored Analysis of Social Media. Olteanu, Varol, Kıcıman. CSCW17
- Using Social Media to Understand the Effects of Alcohol Use During College. Kıcıman, Counts, Gasser (email me for draft)
- Shifts to Suicidal Ideation from Mental Health Content in Social Media. De Choudhury, Kıcıman, Dredze, Coppersmith, Kumar. CHI16
- Social Data: Biases, Methodological Pitfalls, and Ethical Boundaries. Olteanu, Castillo, Diaz and Kıcıman. Working paper
Emre Kıcıman, Scott Counts, Michael Gamon, Munmun De Choudhury, and Bo Thiesson, Discussion Graphs: Putting Social Media Analysis in Context, in Intl. Conf. on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM-14), AAAI, 2 June 2014.
Fernando Diaz, Michael Gamon, Jake Hofman, Emre Kiciman, and David Rothschild, Online and social media data as a flawed continuous panel survey, 15 May 2014.
Abhimanyu Das, Sreenivas Gollapudi, and Emre Kıcıman, Effect of Persuasion on Information Diffusion in Social Networks, no. MSR-TR-2014-69, May 2014.
Yuzhe Jin, Emre Kıcıman, Kuansan Wang, and Ricky Loynd, Entity Linking at the Tail: Sparse Signals, Unknown Entities and Phrase Models, in The 7th ACM Web Search and Data Mining Conference (WSDM 2014), ACM, 24 February 2014.
Andres Monroy-Hernandez, Shelly Farnham, Emre Kiciman, Munmun De Choudhury, and Scott Counts, Smart societies: from citizens as sensors to collective action, in interactions, ACM, July 2013.
Stephen Guo, Ming-Wei Chang, and Emre Kiciman, To Link or Not to Link? A Study on End-to-End Tweet Entity Linking, in NAACL-HLT 2013, 10 June 2013.
Yuzhe Jin, Kuansan Wang, and Emre Kıcıman, Sparse Lexical Representation for Semantic Entity Resolution, in ICASSP 2013, IEEE, 26 May 2013.
Andres Monroy-Hernandez, danah boyd, Emre Kıcıman, Munmun De Choudhury, and Scott Counts, The New War Correspondents: The Rise of Civic Media Curation in Urban Warfare, in The 16th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW), ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, 23 February 2013.
Chun-Kai Wang, Paul Hsu, Ming-Wei Chang, and Emre Kıcıman, Simple and Knowledge-intensive Generative Model for Named Entity Recognition, no. MSR-TR-2013-3, 4 January 2013.